IT Blog

SCCM: One of the reasons why clients report as unkown in Software updates

by on Jan.21, 2009, under SCCM/SMS2003

Here are my finding why updates cannot be deployed to the clients.
As you probably know in order for SCCM to install updates it has to know what updates are already installed. ‘Software updates scan cycle’ action is responsible for scanning the machine and checking what updates installed and what are missing. If this action cannot be performed or fails it will display unknown deployment status in SCCM Software Updates. (see image image below)


So let see what is happening in the scan logs. Open up ScanAgent.logon the client machine in there i see 2 errors and they appear at the time the ‘Software updates scan cycle’ action is running:
CScanTool::Execute- Failed at AddUpdateSource, error = 0x80040692
– – – – – -Scan Failed for ToolUniqueID={DEC3664C-82F3-45FE-9929-8CE5566F42A4}, with Error=0x80040692

As we already know the Scan does not work and the log only proves it. Although without telling us the reason.
So next I’ve checked WUAHandler.log and here I founf the following lines:
Its a WSUS Update Source type ({DEC3664C-82F3-45FE-9929-8CE5566F42A4}), adding it. WUAHandler 14/01/2009 14:09:00 908 (0x038C)
Enabling WUA Managed server policy to use server:
http://sccm.testdomain.ie:8530 WUAHandler 14/01/2009 14:09:00 908 (0x038C)
Waiting for 2 mins for Group Policy to notify of WUA policy change… WUAHandler 14/01/2009 14:09:00 908 (0x038C)
Group policy settings were overwritten by a higher authority (Domain Controller) to: Server
http://sccm:8530 and Policy ENABLED WUAHandler 14/01/2009 14:09:06 908 (0x038C)
Failed to Add Update Source for WUAgent of type (2) and id ({DEC3664C-82F3-45FE-9929-8CE5566F42A4}). Error = 0x80040692. WUAHandler 14/01/2009 14:09:06 908 (0x038C)

According to these lines at first the client has http://sccm.testdomain.ie:8530 as a web server but then this is being overwritten by domain Group Policy and changed to http://sccm:8530 and then fails.
Both addresses are pointing to the same server but for some reason it does not work. To make it work I’ve change Windows Updates  Group Policy from http://sccm:8530 to http://sccm.testdomain.ie:8530 once that was done I initiated ‘Software updates scan cycle’ action and monitored the logs. Everything was fine this time and the software updates deployment status has changed. This allowed machines to receive updates.

So this time I’ve learned that SCCM prefers FQDNs.

:, , , ,

Leave a Reply