Here is a simple procedure how to update firmware on UCS C200 M2 server. The procedure should be no different on the other models of C series servers as they use Host Update Utility(HUU).
1. First you need to download the firmware for the upgrade. In this instance the server will be upgraded to 1.4(3p)5
- Go to Cisco.com, select Support and All Dowloads
- Choose Servers- Unified Computing and Cisco UCS C-Series Rack-Mount Standalone Server Software. Select your server model(in this case it is C200 M2)
- From select Software type choose Unified Computing System (UCS) Server Firmware
- Find the required version and download it(you’ll need to login). It will be iso file:
2. Mount HUU iso in CIMC Continue reading UCS: Update firmware on Cisco UCS C200 server using Host Update Utility →
Here is a strange error that popped up recently.
After server reboot the blade got stuck on 47% of associating service profile.
Here is the error:
Remote Result: Service Unavailable
Remote Error Code: 4106
Remote Error Description: Unable to find Storage Controller Device for sys/chassis-4/blade-2/storage-SAS-1 to perform Image update
When looking in the KVM Console for the blade I can see that it was sitting in the screen below:
Here are the things that I’ve tried to fix this and none of these worked:
1. As it was saying about the image update for Storage adapter I though I’ll remove Host firmware policy from the service profile.
2. Next I created a new Host firmware policy but only added firmware SAS storage controller and chose different version than it had.
3. Remove and add service profile back
Here is what worked though:
Removed service profile from blade, re-acknowledged the blade added service profile back. After this the error was gone and the blade was booting normally.
The last step was to add old Hast firmware policy to the service profile and check if that brakes it again, but all worked as expected.
So I’m happy that the blade is back but cannot explain how and why this has happened.
In UCSM you see critical error:
Affected object: sys/svc-ext
Description: [FSM:FAILED] communication service configuration(FSM:sam:dme:CommSvcEpUpdateSvcEp)
The error itself is not very descriptive, so in order to find out what the problem is best it to look at UCSM show-tech support logs.To do that select Admin tab, select All and click on Create and Download Tech support.
Continue reading UCS: F999616 [FSM:FAILED] communication service configuration(FSM:sam:dme:CommSvcEpUpdateSvcEp) →
Here is an interesting thing that happens during Linux installation on Cisco UCS blade.
After installing Suse on Cisco UCS blade the server would not boot and only flashing cursor is seen. Tried other version of Suse and even RHEL, still the same. This looked strange because I had installed Linux on UCS without any problems before.
There is a small thing that you need to be aware when doing installation. Make sure in to add CD-rom in boot order in the the service profile and when after you mount your ISO let the sever to pick it up itself. Do not press F6 and choose for it as this is where interesting thin happens.
When you let the server to pick the boot device it makes Linux installer to think that this server is running in UEFI mode.
When you press F6 and choose the boot device the installer thinks it is BIOS mode and when partitions are created, it messes things up there for after reboot you see flashing cursor.